Frequently asked questions

Common topics

1. Do we have a licence for aerial work required by the CAA?

Yes The Drone Dude has been issued with a licence by the (CAA) for “Permission for Aerial Work” PFAW. The Civil Aviation PFAW is mandatory for anyone flying drones for commercial use in the UK. Our permissions are available to you on request.

All pilots have passed the CAA-approved exams and flight assessments. Pilots all hold the established industry Remote Pilot Qualification (RPQ-s) for multi-rotor aircraft under 7kg.

2. Are our drone services insured?

The Drone Dude is fully insured against injury and damage for each flight. We currently have a £2million public liability We can apply for permissions with the local Air Traffic Controllers if flights need to be flown higher than 400 feet.

3. What are the key legal limitations in the UK to fly a drone ?

As set out by the (CAA) Civil Aviation Authority , UAVs are legally required to operate under the following conditions:

  • UAVs must remain in line of sight of the pilot
  • UAVs must remain closer than 500m from the pilot
  • UAVs must fly no higher than 120m (400ft)
  • UAVs must fly no closer than 50m to persons, buildings or structures unless under the control of pilot or production crew.
  • UAVs must have a take-off and landing zone of 30m
  • UAVs must fly no closer than 150m to a congested area, unless prior permission has been granted
  • UAVs must not fly over an organised assembly of more than 1000 people

4. Are you able to provide flights a night?

Most of our clients do not realise this, but flying at night requires additional permissions from the CAA. This includes any flight recording 30 minutes after sunset. We have been granted permission to fly from the CAA. We can discuss any night time flying operations in advance should this be part of your requirements.

5. Are there any weather conditions which might restrict flight time?

Our services can only be provided is the weather is satisfactory. We are not able to operation in the following conditions.

We are restricted as to the types of weather we can fly in, and are unable operate in the following conditions:

  • Wind above 22mph / 20kn / 10m/s
  • Rain
  • Operating Temperature – 14° to 104° F / -10° to 40° C

Operating in the right weather conditions is important to all our flight operations. We will monitor the weather forecast for your desired film location in advance of any film shoot.

6. What's involved before aerial film work can take place?

Every job is unique as well as client demands to satisfy all project briefs. As part of our process to carry out successful flights, we carry out the following as standard during our pre-planning.

  • Research any air space restrictions in desired area to film.
  • Application for special permissions from the CAA to fly where applicable. This may also involve getting special permissions from a private property.
  • Inform ATC (air traffic control) of our intentions to fly.
  • Set-up NOTAMS (notice to airmen) where applicable. A NOTAM involves a written notification issued to pilots before a flight, advising them of circumstances relating to the state of flying.
  • Task extra personnel to act as observers as well as provide security

7. Do CAA rules for flying drones also apply to hobbyists?

The legal limitations of flying a drone also apply to anyone flying a drone. While you may not require a licence for non commercial work, anyone flying a drone will still need to follow the CAA guidelines outlined in question #3.

Contact Us

Thanks for using the contact form. Someone will get back as soon as they can to answer your query.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt